The Northern RDA Alliance (NRDAA) comprises eight RDAs whose regions make up Northern Australia. This network, representing the Gascoyne in Western Australia to Gladstone in Central Queensland, has been meeting regularly and providing input to the Australia Government on the development and implementation of the White Paper on Developing Northern Australia including the Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility. Our aim is to support all governments to develop policies and to prioritise investment opportunities to ensure the sustainable development of Northern Australia.
Key points about RDA’s in the Alliance:
- All independent, apolitical, not for profit organisations.
- Funded by the Australia Government to deliver regional economic development activities and outcomes.
Willing to facilitate activities across government boundaries and portfolios.
- Flexible, adaptive, efficient and effective at delivering new initiatives.
- Committee members and staff have been appointed on the basis of their extensive networks across governments, industry and communities.
RDAs have regularly contributed to regional planning in partnership with key stakeholders.
- Have on-the-ground knowledge of how to facilitate and advocate for outcomes in Northern Australia.
The NRDAA can continue to greatly assist the Government’s policy on Northern Australia. Our concern is to explore the key ground-breaking reforms and investments needed to secure our future through the implementation of ideas outlined in the White Paper on Developing Northern Australia. In collaboration, RDA’s in the NRDAA are already delivering:
- Inland Queensland Roads Action Plan (IQ-RAP) – strategic road infrastructure investment;
- The Mid and North Western Australia Investment Portfolio – boosting investment opportunities in the north;
- High Speed Wireless Technology Pilot – low-cost strategy to expand the benefits of existing fibre infrastructure in remote communities.
Other priorities for the NRDAA include:
- Development of a Northern Australian Energy Strategy
- Development of a Northern Australian Water Security Program
Development of a Policy Position of Delivering Incentives for Northern Development
The Northern RDA Alliance delegates:
August 2017 – NRDAA Supplementary Submission JSCNA Inquiry:
Into Opportunities and Methods for Stimulating the Tourism Industry in Northern Australia
August 2017 – NRDAA Submission DIRD Inquiry:
Into National Freight and Supply Chain Priorities
August 2017 – NRDAA Submission SERC Inquiry:
Into the governance and operation of the Northern Australia Infrastructure Facility (NAIF)
March 2017 NRDAA Submission – JSCNA Inquiry:
Into opportunity and methods for stimulating the tourism industry in Northern Australia